My Little Sweeties

My Little Sweeties

Monday, October 20, 2014

A Week of Blessings

This last week was a gift from God.  AJ and Abby were home for the whole week due to MEA, conferences, and a comp day.  In the past this has been a stressful week.  I have had to line up daycare plans for AJ as he is normally in school, I barely get to see my munchkins during conferences, and then we have a few really nice days together as I recoup and try to get my house back together.

This time around was a week full of blessings.  Peng Peng had a fabulous week.  He continues to have tummy problems and we are starting our fourth prescription for his tummy today as a result, but other than that he has been healthy and I dare say thriving.  He continues to learn more signs, his cough is gone, he is sleeping better (more on that later), he has not bit in weeks, and he is growing (we think).  He is playing more independently and allowing me to be in a different room while he entertains himself for short spurts, which is appreciated as much as  I love playing with the little bugger.


The weather this week couldn't have been any better.  The sky is blue, the leaves are a brilliant golden, the birds are chirping, the pumpkins are ready for baking, and the apples are ready for picking.  We spent a lot of time outside, we opened the windows, and we did a lot of baking. 

Our vacation started off with a bang.  My cousins from Oklahoma and California were in town for my cousin Brad's wedding.  They came by Friday night and we so enjoyed their company.  The kids really took to them and it was so nice taking the time to catch up.  Saturday we went to the wedding, which was just beautiful.  Everything was perfect and we were able to show off our newest addition to many family members.  AJ and Abby danced the night away as did Peng Peng.  Abby would kill me if she knew I shared this, but one of the sweetest memories that day was her barely able to stand her romantic anticipation waiting for the wedding kiss.  She loves fairy tales, and there is nothing more romantic than a bride and groom sharing their first kiss as husband and wife. 

Sunday we had family pictures in the afternoon.  It was so nice being able to sleep in and relax after having such a busy day the day before.  Adam went to a fish tank meeting in the morning and the kids and I just played outside and I ran around putting outfits together.  I think I prepared thirty outfits that weekend counting clothes for the wedding, playclothes in the mornings, two outfits for pictures, and pajamas.  The kids did the best they have ever done and the few pictures I have already seen have brought tears to my eyes.  I am so thankful to capture this magical time in our lives. 

Monday we went to the Good Times Park.  This place is amazing!  The kids ran for three straight hours and I eventually had to drag them out of there so Peng Peng could have a nap.  We easily could have spent another three hours there.  The place was super quiet too since most districts still had school that day.

Tuesday we had conferences for the kids.  I was so proud of how well AJ and Abby are doing - both academically as well as behaviorally.  They handled all of these life changes like real troopers and I am so so proud of them both.  That afternoon we picked up our friends Lauren and Ben and we had a playdate at our house for the rest of the afternoon.  We made sugar cookies and decorated them.  It was so fun seeing their creations with a little sugar, sprinkles, marshmallows, and chocolate chips!

Wednesday I took the kids to Barten's pumpkin patch with our good friends Gina and Melissa and their children.  This place had all kinds of fun activities for the kids - like taking the kernals off of corn (I am sure there is a name for this but I have no idea what it is), walking on stilts, bean bag toss, bowling with pumpkins, playing in a corn teepee, and photo ops.  That night Abby and her friend went to gymnastics while the boys and I picked up more meds for Peng Peng's tummy.

Thursday was a real treat.  We went to the Mall of America and went to the Underwater World.  Peng Peng LOVES fish, so he in open-mouthed awe pretty much the whole time.  We had a few free tickets left from AJ's birthday party back in April, so the kids all got to go on a few rides as well.  Our grand finale was a treat at the Toll House cookie store.  On the way home we went to their dentist appointments.  No cavities!  Well, I shouldn't fully say that.  We know that Peng Peng has a cavity and are hoping to get it filled during his surgery while he is out.  The dentist looked in his mouth and gave us some advice as his mouth has many needs and we are trying to prioritize his greatest needs first.  That night we had Bible Study and after that Adam and I hosted a music practice in our garage for this Sunday's service.

Friday was a lay-low day.  We went to story time at the local library, played at Wagners Park, then spent a lot of time playing and relaxing.  The kids read their books from the library, watched movies, and I cleaned for a few hours and then we enjoyed the beautiful outdoors. 

Saturday we had our friend Linda and her two boys over for a pj & donut playdate.  That afternoon I took the kids to a movie from a Family Movie Series we had purchased for super cheap a few weeks ago through the school.  We got there a little late as I had the time confused and we ended up having to sit in the front row.  I started to feel sick - and I thought it was from sitting up front - but ends up it was the start of a nasty 24 hour stomach bug.  No fun!  I slept most of the afternoon in between being sick and Adam had kid duty.

Sunday we were involved in one of our preview church services for Crossroads.  I made it with singing, but still felt pretty sick and run down.  Our pastor did a great job though and the kids had a blast.  By the afternoon I started to feel better and the kids and I had fun playing for hours in the front yard.  We peeled apples that my in-laws gave us from their apple tree and made apple crisp.  We also took out some seeds and they are drying right now so we can try planting our own trees this spring. 

Grossest moments this week both involved the dogs.  Peng Peng has been open-mouth kissing the dogs while they lick his tongue.  SO disgusting, but tricky to prevent as they are the same eye level and gravitate towards one another - especially his mouth as he constantly has a stinky odor coming from his mouth.  The worst was... we have been encouraging Peng Peng to brush his teeth often.  So, when I let him brush his teeth on the kitchen floor while I did dishes I didn't think too much of it... until I realized he had run over by the dogs' water dish.  I ran over saying, "no no!" but I was too late.  The toothbrush went into the water dish, he smiled, then he popped that toothbrush into his mouth and started scrubbing.  EEWWWW.

Current Signs (bold new):  all done, apple, ball, banana,  bath, bike, bird, book, brush teeth, bug candy, car, cereal, clean up, cold, color, come on, cookie, cow, cracker, dad, diaper, dog, down,  drink, eat, fish, flower,  go, grandma,  hat, help, horse,  hot, hot dog, jump, laundry, milk, mine, more, monkey, music, pig, play, popcorn, shoes, sit, sleep, socks, slide, swing, time out, wait, walk, wash hands, water, up
As much as I have been thankful every day for this gift of time home with Peng Peng, I can't express enough how grateful I am to have this week with all three kids.  We cuddled, we did big activities, we read, we hugged, we laughed.  So many great memories all bottled into one week.  You know how when you first fall in love with somebody, how you get all tingly just thinking about them?  That was this whole week.  Even when I was sick and at my worst, the kids made a point to see if I needed anything and to give hugs. God is so good. 

The timing of this week couldn't have been any better either.  We have just over one more week until Peng Peng's big surgery next week.  I am so nervous for it - for him.  Medical concerns aside, I do worry about his little and highly active body to be in pain and confined in arm restraints.  He is signing so well, I worry he won't be able to communicate with his arms bound either.  Please keep him and our family in your prayers these next few weeks.  I know the end result will be well worth it, but it will be a difficult time for our family.  The doctors are optimistic that within a few weeks from the surgery he should be able to start producing more sounds and the roof of his mouth should be healed and closed.

Have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment