My Little Sweeties

My Little Sweeties

Thursday, May 15, 2014

It's Better to Give Than to Receive

My parents are both very giving people.  They taught me from an early age the motto, "It's better to give than to receive".  I love giving.  It brings me such a peace and inner happiness to help others.  I love feeling like in whatever small way I help, I am making a difference.

In high school I was a member of the volunteer club.  In college I even served as vice-president.  Whether helping build houses, serving the hungry, or organizing fundraisers for worthy causes, I always walked away with such a happy afterglow.  Now, as life is busy and crazy just getting from day to day, I am not able to help in such big and grand ways as I did in the past, but I take pleasures in the simple acts like watching a friend's children, bringing a meal, or helping with a church-related activity.

I am not used to being on the receiving end of asking for help, but I have learned this past year how humbling it is to acknowledge that I cannot do everything on my own.  I have also learned how truly and deeply blessed I am.  I have cried tears of happiness and gratitude many a nights this past year as we entered our adoption journey and now as we near the end of this phase in life.  It is uncomfortable for me to share with others our financial hurdles, and I wish that I was able to be financially able to pay all the adoption expenses as a family.  This just isn't an option.

Adoption is expensive.  We knew this would be a big undertaking when we started.  We also knew that God would provide.  And He has.  So far every step of the way God has provided one blessing after the other.  I wish that I documented each of these miracles on here along the way because there truly have been times when we needed a certain amount and through God's intervention that exact amount appeared.  I do remember in the beginning of our journey we needed $500 to get started.  I helped my parents with a garage sale and sold a few things of our own.  That weekend we got the call that we needed money and were accepted to begin the paperwork process and the next day within a few dollars we met our first financial goal.  We sold our family boat last fall around the time of our home study, which covered all of our first few fees with CCAI and with our home study agency.  I realize the blessings God has provided us.

Adam's business has been very successful, which has also been a blessing.  I have enjoyed selling pampered chef this year, which provided some extra money and about two months ago I advertised tutoring in the area.  Within a few days I had five people interested and since then I have been tutoring two nights a week and two mornings a week before my contracted hours.  This has led to an extremely busy life and challenged Adam and I in every way possible.  On top of me working these extra hours, Adam working mostly 10-hour days plus Saturdays, and raising two beautiful children, I also spent close to 100 hours applying to grants and loans that are available to families similar to us.  Unfortunately, so far we have received one rejection letter and one letter stating we need to try and raise more money before they will grant us an interest-free loan.  This is what prompted us to take the plunge and reach out to friends and family for support.  If we can show these organizations that we are accessing all of our resources and are able to close the gap of needed funds, they might be more inclined to offer financial support.

Last night I shared on facebook a link to our fundraising page.  It is:  http://www.gofundme.com/95n31c .  We are setting our goal for $3500, which seems pretty lofty knowing how tight times are for people, but with the miracles God has already shown us, I know that anything is possible.  My mom is also organizing a huge garage sale as they prepare to move this way and has offered to give a good portion of sales towards our adoption.  I am also going to host a garage sale this July at my house as a fundraiser.  With only four months until we can bring our son home I am excited to see what God has in store for our family.

Thank you to all of you who continue to be miracles in our lives.  We feel so loved and it is truly an amazing feeling every time I hear your words of encouragement or support, see your smiles, and share in our excitement together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment