My Little Sweeties

My Little Sweeties

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Showered with love

Tonight we were showered with love at a baby shower for Christian.

This was just another demonstration of the blessings we have in our lives.  It was a fun night of sharing our story of what has led us to this moment in time, a very powerful devotional about parenthood and motherhood using scripture beginning with each letter in the word "adopt," sharing pictures of our son, opening presents, and visiting (and eating) with friends.  Many of the ladies who were there tonight shared in Abby & AJ's showers when I was pregnant with them as well.

We now have some brand new clothes for Christian in what I hope is his right size, a stroller that we can take with us to China, some children's medications to bring with us (we were told to bring anything and everything because if we buy meds in China we might not be able to find what we are looking for and even if we do we might not be able to read the language or convert the weight/ amounts), and so much more.

Marilyn Miller, who made cakes for both AJ and Abby's showers, made a beautiful cake for Christian. 
The letters are actually like puzzle pieces.  The uppercase and lowercase letters fit together.  Isn't that just perfect!?!?

Abby was able to join me tonight, and I think she might have felt like the princess I know she is.  I gave her a little pedicure today (complete with jets/ suds and any grown-up nailpolish she wanted!), plus she wore some glittery make-up AND got a few sprays of my perfume :)  She had fun sharing in the festivities, and it melted my heart to see her so excited to talk about her little brother and to say how excited she is for him to be home with us.  I know she has had some hesitations - about being the middle child, us leaving for so long, and sharing her room, but every day she seems to get more and more excited about having a little brother.  I know she is going to be such a great big sister - she loves playing with little kids and has such a wonderful personality - I can't wait to see how it shines with her little brother!

 This picture kind of shows a necklace one of my coworkers and friends MADE me.  She said the two birds symbolizes AJ and Abby.  The empty nest they are looking at represents them waiting for their brother to come home.  I shared this story and its symbolism the day Cathy gave me the necklace at work with both kids, and they loved hearing how they are a part of this charm and asked for me to repeatedly tell them about it.  Well, today, when I put it on, Abby pointed to one of the birds and said, "Look!  It's me.  I am waiting for Christian!"
AJ and Adam stayed home and did guy things - ordered pizza, played a star wars boardgame, and watched tv :)  AJ has truly amazed me with his deep understanding and support with what we are doing.  Last night we were getting ready for bed and he walked into my room with two dollar bills and about one dollar in coins in his hands.  He handed the money to me and said, "here mom".  I asked him what the money was for, and he said, "For the adoption fees".  (we have been really careful to say that the money we are raising and paying is not to buy his brother, but for the expenses of adoption like paying the people who are helping us, airfare, etc.).  I asked him why he wanted to give us that money, and his answer just flooded my eyes with tears.  He said, "Because I love my brother and I want to help bring him home really fast".  Wow.  I hate to take money from my kids - I make them work hard for their money and we seldom buy them toys because we like for them to understand the value of a dollar and to be a better judge on what they should and shouldn't spend their precious money on, but I felt like I needed to accept this money.  He knew.  AJ weighed whether or not he wanted to give his money, and he chose a very selfless act - one that I am amazed a seven year old did so spontaneously (we hadn't even been talking about adoption stuff last night).  Gosh I love this kid.

Here are a few more pictures from tonight's shower...










No comments:

Post a Comment