My Little Sweeties

My Little Sweeties

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Garage Sale Fundraisers!

God is good. We are now on day 64 of our LOA wait.  CCAI is closed on the weekend, which means that weekends are "off" from endless checking of emails for a coveted update.  This past week I was so busy I barely had time to check my email - I was lucky if I checked it ten times a day :)

One reason why I was so busy was we had our big garage sale fundraiser in Alexandria at my parent's place.  I can't believe how much stuff we sold - it was a LOT.  My parents are so generously giving us $1,000 towards our adoption as a result of this fundraising event!  Their house is listed and they are hoping to move to Elko in the near future, so this sale was inevitable, but I am sure they could have used the funds to help them with moving expenses.  We are so appreciative of their sacrifice!  I was also appreciative of some of the conversations I was able to have with customers.  I had a sign stating this was an adoption fundraiser and I had a picture of Christian up.  This sparked several conversations, and a few of them so memorable I am sure I will never forget them (well, the way my memory has been lately, it will at least be a long time before I forget).  I met adoptive families who brought their sweet little kids, a few from China.  It was fun talking with them and it was so precious to watch the expressions exchanged between these parents and kids as they explained how we were so excited to bring our son home, just like they were excited to bring them home.  I also met a few ladies from China who gave advice on places we should see and what the weather and tourism should be like in September, when we are hoping to travel.  Another conversation that was dear to my heart was with a lady who said that she loves the idea of adoption, but they are still trying to conceive their own child and are in their third year of trying.  By the end of our conversation it felt like I was saying good bye to a dear friend and I gave her my number and email in case she ever wanted to chat... about infertility or adoption.   The many nights I laid in bed wondering why every step of completing our family has been a struggle and a challenge are all starting to make sense.  God's plan and His purpose are starting to unfold.

Another reason why I was so busy is we decided to make it possible for me to go to NY to see my Grandma.  We have been saving miles for China, but it isn't looking like we would have enough for airfare to get there on one ticket and she has been battling several medical difficulties, so now that she is home, I am home for the summer, and we have these miles, we decided for me to take the plunge and go. This led to lots of busy work trying to reschedule things, like tutoring, Abby's actual birthday celebrations (her birthday is tomorrow), a playdate I was hosting this week, her birthday party, and more.  I felt so bad canceling on people and pulling favors, but the kids are excited to spend another week with my mom in Alexandria and I am really glad for this opportunity.

So, tomorrow I head home alone with a carload of leftover garage sale items, which are priced and ready to be a good base of materials for my sale in a few weeks.  I am teaching a course through our summer learning with New Prague, and then I head up to the cities to stay at a hotel with my dad - we are both flying out around the same time early Tuesday morning.  I have snuck in cuddles every opportunity I have been given these past few days and Abby got to pick out her present, eat a huge cake with a massive sucker on top, and is sleeping in bed with me as I write.  I plan on making pancakes for her birthday breakfast and then taking off.

Okay, I need to make finishing touches on my powerpoint for tomorrow's presentation... then off to bed.  Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment