My Little Sweeties

My Little Sweeties

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Day 13: Medical Exam, Old Chen House, and Temple


Today was a very big day.  We started off the day by leaving early for Christian’s medical exam.  I was anticipating this visit for several reasons.  I was a little worried that the doctors would find something to be concerned about since Christian has been so sick this week.  I was also worried that this could result in our having travels home being delayed – which would most likely happen if he had a fever.  I didn’t know how my little man would handle the appointment either.  I have heard of kids having major aversions to doctors after having already had a surgery for his lip and not knowing what those experiences were like for him in the past.

 When we got to the clinic we were able to get in a really short line specific for people who are adopting.  While the other line had dozens of people sitting and waiting, we had less than two minutes of a wait time.  We did meet two other families waiting with their adoptive children.  One lady from Pennsylvania chatted with us for a while – and was here finalizing her fifth adoption!

After our appointment we went on a little sight seeing.  We first saw a Temple.  Unfortunately, my camera died, so I have no pictures, but it was just stunning.  The details were amazing, the trees were hundreds of years old, and the temple was built 1500 years ago!  People were there praying and worshipping, which was sad to see for me since I believe the only one to pray to is God, but at the same time it was inspiring to see people there on a week day so dedicated to their faith.  Monks were chanting and incense was burning.  I learned that the purpose of incense is to send your prayers up to Heaven.  People had brought food for offerings.  Different foods and items were requests for different things (I just remember that peanuts are for boys).

Next we went to the Old Chen House.  Jackie Chen is related to the family who owned this property.  It was so beautiful.  They had carved ivory (which you can’t make any more, but you can sell with certain paperwork documenting it was made before it was illegal), amazing needlework that looked like paintings, and other artwork. We had a painting made for Christian with both his Chinese and American name for one of his seventeen gifts.  Christian was hitting the wall, so we skipped a third tour option of a crafters market and went back to the hotel room just after noon for some rest.  When he woke up we were able to go swimming at the beautiful pool at the hotel.  It was a nice and relaxing night in.

No comments:

Post a Comment