My Little Sweeties

My Little Sweeties

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Jumping In

This week was amazing.  Tiring, but amazing.  Monday morning was like a three-hour workout.  I haven't ever had to get both AJ & Abby ready for school, not to mention I was still getting over jet-lag, Peng Peng had been up about every hour the night before crying, and I had lunches to make... well, you get the picture.

So, I woke up on Monday at 6:00 and ran like a crazy woman until 8:50, when we ran to the bus stop about one minute before the bus arrived.  Tuesday morning was way worse with it being picture day, so I added baths, outfits were missing pieces, I couldn't get Abby's hair right, only to name a few things.  Wednesday morning we were doing good - so good that I had time to make ham & eggs for breakfast, only before I realized I forgot to make lunches and AJ had to use the bathroom for about five minutes right before the bus came.  Thursday was good - we made it on time with about a minute to spare.  Friday was great - kids even had time to play for a few minutes.  So, mornings were busy, but after a week we finally had a groove going enough that it was enjoyable.  I also look forward to my visits with other moms at the bus stop.  I have to admit, it makes me wish a bit that I could be a stay-at-home-mom.  I love having this time home with my kids, letting them sleep until they are ready to wake up, and to have time during the day to get projects and errands done making more time free in the evenings. 

Before we had left for China we had intentionally not committed to a whole lot upon our return home to make sure that we were helping Peng Peng adjust to his new life.  The kid just loves being around others and has adjusted so well to our family that we decided to just jump in to what will be our new normal.   So, jumping in we did.

Sunday we ran a few errands.  That evening AJ had a meltdown.  A major meltdown.  I think it was him finally releasing all of the emotions he had contained while we were gone for so long.  So, Sunday night was dedicated to affirming our love for him by telling him and showing him my love while not giving in to his requests (electronics after he lost the privilege due to being mean multiple times to Abby and disrespecting me). 

Monday night we laid low.  Tuesday AJ had soccer.  We went to play at the park early, so most of the night was at school.  Peng Peng and I ate lunch with Abby that day and I had so much fun showing him off to my coworkers and former students.  Abby was a trooper through this process as well because she had to share a lot of our attentions while we were at lunch.  Her teacher shared she cried some that afternoon because she missed us but otherwise handled us coming well.

Wednesday Peng Peng and I visited AJ.  He wanted us to join us at recess, so the three of us went out.  We watched him play some soccer and then had fun having about thirty students swarm around him trying to pass him balls for him to throw.  It was so sweet how kind the kids were with him, but my favorite was how protective and loving AJ was towards him.  That night we drove Abby's friend to gymnastics and AJ helped me entertain him while we were there.

Thursday we had our dear friend Katy, and her son Teagan, over for a playdate.  It was so nice catching up!  That night we had a church meeting and right after I took the three kids to sign AJ up for boyscouts. 

Friday our neighbors and friends came over and we enjoyed our time together after running a few errands.  That afternoon I took Peng Peng to the library to meet Beth, a very friendly librarian, and to reserve a few signing time dvd's.  We then watched AJ and Abby at karate (self defense) and then dropped Peng Peng off with Adam and I took AJ & Abby to a birthday party at the bowling alley. 

Today, Saturday, marks our first full week home.  We buried Adam's sister's ashes today at the cemetery and spent the afternoon visiting with his family.  This afternoon we are going to a fundraiser for a friend's cousin. 

I spent a lot of time this week talking with doctor's offices.  Peng Peng had a well-being check up at our family doctor on Monday.  He is 5th percentile for height, 8th for weight, and I believe 12th for head.  He still has tummy problems, but it seems to be getting a little bit better.  I confirmed appointments with the U of M teams - one for the craniofacial team and one for the international adoption clinic.  I have also called Lakeville Schools to get his evaluation started so we can start OT and Speech services as soon as possible.  In regards to communication, he can speak, "mama" and "up" (sounds like "u"), but he is really taking off with signing.  He doesn't do it very often in front of an audience, but at home he is consistently signing the words, "up, help, shoes, milk, hat, monkey, drink (for juice), doggie, fish, water, ball, and play.  Today we started working on "wait" because if I show him a finger for "wait a minute" he thinks I am saying "up" and gets frustrated.  "Music" is another word we started practicing because he seems to love music.  The signing is definitely helping with his frustration as he is really starting to communicate :)  He also nods his head yes and no.
 
Life is busier and crazier than ever, but I couldn't be happier.  I am glad we jumped right in.  If this is our new normal, I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment