My Little Sweeties

My Little Sweeties

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Little Miss Piggy and Super Brother

Little Abby has been more than the perfect baby, and AJ has been more than the perfect big brother and son. I couldn't be more proud as a mother than I am at this very moment. Abby's weight went down to 7 lb 12 ounces by the time we were discharged at the hospital on Wednesday (I couldn't stand being away from AJ, so decided to go a sleepless night without the aid of the nurses watching her at night so I could be there to lay him down and be there when he woke up the next morning). Well, at her appointment yesterday she was already up to 8 lb 3 oz, so to help you with the math, she gained at least 7 ounces in 36 hours! This is due to the fact that my beautiful little girl likes to nurse, and has been doing so almost every 45 minutes to hour! This, in addition to the fact that she starts snorting and grunting like a pig every timeshe gets hungry is why I affectionately refer to her as "Miss Piggy". Nursing is finally starting to not be as painful as it was a day ago, but I have a feeling it will be another week before it gets much better. Little stinker goes through about twenty daipers a day right now! She had 10 poopy diapers yesterday in addition to wet ones! I recorded every time I nursed her and every time I changed her for about 24 hours, then I finally gave up since I have no worries about her being a healthy and growing child.

I absolutely love seeing her smile. I don't mind that it is only when she poops or makes gas right now, it is just a window into the very near future. It amazes me how much I forgot about what babies do - especially since it was just barely two years ago I sat with my six or seven baby manuals listing all the milestones and things to watch as a parent. Good thing there are tons of websites with up to date information that gets emailed to me! I also pulled out a few of the books to read while nursing in the middle of the night - although hopefully that won't last too long! :)

AJ has just amazed me with how well he has handled this total life adjustment. It has been wonderful having Adam home this week, and I am glad that he will stay home with me through Monday ( a full week). My mom stayed with us until yesterday, and will return again on Tuesday. It pretty much took three adults to handle the two kids and keep up with household duties. This makes me a little nervous about what is to come on my own - anybody want to move in and help out this summer? :)
As good as AJ has handled this adjustment, I have noticed a definite increase in his whining and just seeming a little sad. He loves her and is constantly saying hi to her and gently touching her, which is awesome, but when I can't do things like play with him or read twenty stories before bed, he just cries "mama" or "play with me". I think I have probably cried more about this than he has, and know that it comes with the territory of having more than one child. I also realize how in a few weeks it will start to be easier to do things with both children, especially as I learn how to be there with him and Abby in a manageable way. I am so excited to watch them grow together and to be there for one another as they get older, and I feel so blessed for everything God has provided and made possible for us.
I tried to take AJ to the park near our house on Wednesday to help him see that things were going to be as close to normal as possible, and fortunately Adam volunteered to join us because I got super lightheaded and needed to sit down the whole time we were there (this was about 36 hours after I delivered Abby, so I don't recommend doing this to any second-time mommies!). Now I am feeling much better, and was able to take him to the park today by myself (although Adam met me there with a screaming baby as Abby wanted to nurse 25 minutes after I had just nursed her!). He has been playing a TON outside, and even caught his first fish with Adam and my mom the other night (I need to upload the picture from my parents camera, but it was a walleye for those of you who like to fish!). AJ helped reel it in and I think he touched it once it was off the hook. Adam got him his own pole now, so I am sure there will be many fishing adventures.

I apologize now for all the pictures I am about to share. I just couldn't narrow it down any further! Here are some more updated shots of Abby...
I think Abby was begging me to not take any more pictures here :)
Smiling away :)The car ride home. We used the same car seat as AJ used, but added a little pink to it :)Poor kid saw nothing but flash hundreds of times these past few days :)My sleeping beauty!
I think Abby enjoyed stretching out on her blanket!Our first bath was a success! Barely any tears!I should start looking into modeling companies I think - what do you think?This picture melts my heart. AJ wanted to give Abby a kiss, and he was so gentle with her while he did it!This is a picture Adam took to show his model airplane friends. He was showing off his two babies!Just hanging out :)

Playing in the swing...


All snuggled in warm and cozy!

Here are some recent pictures of AJ just hanging out. No big outings this week, but we are all definitely appreciative of this beautiful weather!

Here is AJ going down the slide at the park with me earlier today. He likes to climb up the ladder, which just about gives me a heart attack every time, but he has never fallen and seems very sure-footed.
AJ thought it was hysterical to put the boat in the pool. He kept talking about how it was like the boat in the lake (which he refers to as "his lake") where they went fishing the other day. AJ loves his train table! He grabbed both Adam's and my hand that night and said "play trains me". So, how could we say no? Besides, it IS fun :)AJ initiated this hug, and I was thankful I had the camera. They were in the middle of getting shoes on to go outside.This is the adorable smile just before the argument that No, we cannot go "way up high" and stand in the water table.
Here are a few pictures taken of AJ when he was just less than one week old... I think there are lots of similarities, but definitely some differences!


t

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, I think they could pass as twins! (just 2 years apart, hehehe) SO glad things are going well and I CANNOT believe how much she nurses! OH-MY-GOSH! Hope to see you at the next playdate, pretty sure we can make it.

    ReplyDelete